Invisalign, commonly known as clear aligners, are thin, transparent, polyurethane-resin customized trays. These removable aligners are worn over your teeth. It is an orthodontic treatment mainly used to straighten the alignment of teeth and can be considered as upgraded versions of traditional metal braces.
If you have simple crowding or bite-related issues, you can opt for Invisalign. If you can follow the guidelines of taking care of the aligners properly and wear them for the exact time frame recommended, Invisalign can treat you well.
On the first appointment with the dentist, a 3D digital scan of your mouth and jaw is taken with optical technology. The picture is then used to plan out your aligners. Each aligner is different from the others.
A series of personalized plastic aligners are prepared in dental labs. These aligners constantly and gently pull or push the teeth, repositioning them to their preferred places. The aligners are set in your next scheduled appointment. The fit is checked, and necessary adjustments are made.
You need to wear the aligners for 20 to 22 hours every day so that they are of maximum effect. A new set of aligners are provided every week or two as per the time needed for your teeth to shift to their desired positions.
What Is Invisalign Used for?
- Treatment of overbite or buck teeth, underbite or Class III malocclusion, and crossbite teeth
- Open bite or bad bite treatment
- Eliminating unwanted gaps between teeth
- Fixing the crowding of teeth
How to Properly Use Aligners
Aligners need to be removed during eating and drinking, brushing, or flossing your teeth, and while cleaning them.
The treatment needs a slightly longer time if you are dealing with complex spacing issues. Aligners are more effective in a younger age group. After the treatment is complete, it is recommended to wear retainers. This ensures the teeth are in position for a longer span.
Advantages of Clear Aligners
- Invisalign is much more comfortable over metal braces. The first set of Invisalign may feel a little uncomfortable but with constant use and change in the position of your teeth, wearing them becomes easy.
- The aligners do not look bulky, and most of the time, they go unnoticed by other people.
- You don't have to wear the aligners all day. They can be removed whenever you feel necessary, especially while brushing your teeth. This maintains oral hygiene.
- They can be cleaned. This removes any risk of bacterial infections or bad breath.
- They need minimum maintenance, thus making it very easy to use Invisalign.
Please reach out to our dental practice at W Railroad Ave, Plains, MT, to have a consultation with our dentists. You can call us at (406) 215-4705 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.